Re: iPod touch and F13?

Hi Andre,

Andre Costa wrote:
> Nice, didn't know about it, thks for the pointer. But, the thing is:
> I have already used iTunes to transfer music to the iPod (in fact,
> rhythmbox recognizes it already has 444 songs in it), but there's no
> 'Device' folder on the 'iTunes_Control' folder, which goes against
> what's said on that page.
>
> So, my question is: is it safe to create such dir, specially
> considering I already used iTunes on this iPod?

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to this.  It's possible that
some other manual step is needed or that the libgpod packages are
missing something which would automate this process a little better.
I thought that for a device which had been initialized with iTunes,
the current libgpod in Fedora 13 would "just work."

I just asked Christophe Fergeau, one of the main libgpod contributors
and he confirmed that in general, it should work.  There is currently
an upstream bug involving playlists.  Christophe suggested testing
whether adding a track to the main iPod library works and "wait 15
seconds after the transfer ends."  Another helpful soul in #gtkpod on
freenode mentioned that since the sync happens with a slight delay, a
common problem is unplugging the device too soon after the files are
transferred.

Another thing to check is that there are no SELinux denials blocking
the udev callout from working.  This is intended to take the manual
setup work out of the picture by running whenever an iPod is plugged
in.  I think we got selinux policy updated, but it never hurts to be
sure.  If it needs an update, the good folks maintaining SELinux are
very quick about pushing policy fixes.

I don't have any of the newer Apple hardware to test so I can't
generally poke at this stuff myself.  (And I believe my days of owning
Apple hardware, nice as it may be, are over.  Chasing down how to make
it work on any non-Apple sanctioned operating systems has grown old.)