Re: battery botched f11 to f12 upgrade (macppc-ibookG4)

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 7:32 AM, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Joel Rees writes:
>
>> On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 07:08:09 -0400
>> Sam Varshavchik <mrsam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> I've never understood the appeal of preupgrade.
>>
>> It "feels" like it knows more about what's going on than the netinstall
>> CD, for instance. But that's because a lot of the work is being done by a
>> fully functioning system. When you reboot and let the install kernel take
>> over, however, it's just as stripped-down as the netinstall CD.
>
> In the past, there have been many occasions where a newly-installed kernel
> would upchuck and die on one of my machines, as a result of a bug in a
> driver for some bit of hardware in it. Hasn't happened in a long time
> (good), but it has happened in the past time. In one memorable stretch,
> three consecutive kernel releases (not just Fedora erratas of the same
> kernel release, but new kernel releases packaged for Fedora) would barf on
> me, before the whatever bug was finally nuked, and I was finally able to
> upgrade to the current kernel.
>
> The nice thing about a DVD install is that I'm booting the same kernel that
> I'm going to install. It's nice to know, in advance, and very quickly, if
> the kernel is going to barf on me.

I'll grant you that. The blanked screen was a little worrisome for the
four or five hours it took to complete the install. Lots of things can
still go wrong with preupgrade.

In this particular case, I was a little bit grabbing at straws anyway.

>>> Seems to me it's going to take much longer to have every machine download
>>> the individual packages, separately once for each machine.
>>
>> Have you considered setting up a local mirror? Theoretically (haven't
>> actually done it myself, mind you), that's what I'd do if I had a lot of
>
> Err… Sucking down "Everything", which is I think what I'll need to do, is a
> bit much for me to swallow.

I think I like Tim's idea about using a local proxy. Not that you
can't pick-and-choose when you mirror, but, as you say, setting up the
mirror takes a bit of time.

Joel Rees