Re: battery botched f11 to f12 upgrade (macppc-ibookG4)

Joel Rees writes:

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 07:08:09 -0400
Sam Varshavchik <mrsam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've never understood the appeal of preupgrade.

It "feels" like it knows more about what's going on than the netinstall
CD, for instance. But that's because a lot of the work is being done by a
fully functioning system. When you reboot and let the install kernel take
over, however, it's just as stripped-down as the netinstall CD.

In the past, there have been many occasions where a newly-installed kernel would upchuck and die on one of my machines, as a result of a bug in a driver for some bit of hardware in it. Hasn't happened in a long time (good), but it has happened in the past time. In one memorable stretch, three consecutive kernel releases (not just Fedora erratas of the same kernel release, but new kernel releases packaged for Fedora) would barf on me, before the whatever bug was finally nuked, and I was finally able to upgrade to the current kernel.

The nice thing about a DVD install is that I'm booting the same kernel that I'm going to install. It's nice to know, in advance, and very quickly, if the kernel is going to barf on me.

Seems to me it's going to take much longer to have every machine download the individual packages, separately once for each machine.

Have you considered setting up a local mirror? Theoretically (haven't
actually done it myself, mind you), that's what I'd do if I had a lot of

Err… Sucking down "Everything", which is I think what I'll need to do, is a bit much for me to swallow.