Re: Evolution oddities in F13

On Sun, 2010-06-06 at 13:32 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-06-05 at 19:33 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> >  * The first message selected in a window doesn't change status
> >    from unread to read until I change it by hand.
>
> One of the annoying things about Evolution was that when you fired up
> the program, it'd display some message, and quickly mark it as read.
> However, you may not look at that message for some reason, so it's not
> actually been read.  Tied in with that was another annoying default (I
> believe) action to hide read messages.

It'll do the latter if you've selected Unread Messages in the Show box,
but not otherwise. How else should it behave?

> So if you ran the program, then quit it, or it crashed, a message would
> disappear, and you wouldn't know which one it was.  But if it hadn't
> mis-marked it as read, you could go back and read your unread mail.

I usually configure it to not change the Read status unless I do so
manually, which takes care of that.

> Apart from losing track of your mail, hiding read messages leads to
> people not clearing out their inbox.  The program goes a bit doolally
> when thousands of messages remain in the inbox.

That's overly-general. Evo doesn't like mbox files of over 2GB in size,
but I merrily handle large mailboxes via IMAP. For example, I have this
lists's entire traffic since more than two years ago (nearly 83,000
messages) in a single folder on an IMAP server -- Gmail in fact -- and
Evo has no problem handling it.

> > * If I report a message as spam, it used to disappear from the
> >   window.  I assume it was marked as junk at the same time.  But
> >   now, it stays visible and I have to delete it or mark it junk by
> >   hand.
>
> That might be tied in with what I discussed above:  Spam being marked as
> read, and the hiding of read messages.  Both of which should have
> configuration options for you.  Have a look through your preferences.

In recent versions of Evo Junk mail is no longer marked as Read. That's
because people used to complain about marking false positives as Not
Junk and having them returned to the Inbox with their status changed.
The policy changed in 2.26 or 2.28, I forget.

> I really really hate mail programs that play stupid games with the read
> flag.  Only mail that I've actually read should get marked as read.

No program knows when you've read a message. All it can know is if
you've displayed it. Everything else is a kludge.

> i.e. When I leave the message and go to the next one, *that's* the time
> to mark a message as read.  Not when it's first displayed, or a few
> seconds later.  But when I've finished reading it.

That doesn't work either. Suppose you have the preview pane open and
step quickly through some messages till you get to the one you want to
read. By your criterion, all the intermediate messages would be marked
as Read, but suppose you haven't actually read them?

> When mail clients play games with the read flag, marking junk as read,
> marking ignored messages as read, marking old messages as read, etc.,
> etc., I can't tell what I've read or what it's mislabelled for me.

See above. You have the option of turning off the timed marking, and
Junk is no longer automatically marked as Read.

poc