Re: Evolution oddities in F13

On Sat, 2010-06-05 at 19:33 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>  * The first message selected in a window doesn't change status
>    from unread to read until I change it by hand.

One of the annoying things about Evolution was that when you fired up
the program, it'd display some message, and quickly mark it as read.
However, you may not look at that message for some reason, so it's not
actually been read.  Tied in with that was another annoying default (I
believe) action to hide read messages.

So if you ran the program, then quit it, or it crashed, a message would
disappear, and you wouldn't know which one it was.  But if it hadn't
mis-marked it as read, you could go back and read your unread mail.

Apart from losing track of your mail, hiding read messages leads to
people not clearing out their inbox.  The program goes a bit doolally
when thousands of messages remain in the inbox.

> * If I report a message as spam, it used to disappear from the
>   window.  I assume it was marked as junk at the same time.  But
>   now, it stays visible and I have to delete it or mark it junk by
>   hand.

That might be tied in with what I discussed above:  Spam being marked as
read, and the hiding of read messages.  Both of which should have
configuration options for you.  Have a look through your preferences.

I really really hate mail programs that play stupid games with the read
flag.  Only mail that I've actually read should get marked as read.

i.e. When I leave the message and go to the next one, *that's* the time
to mark a message as read.  Not when it's first displayed, or a few
seconds later.  But when I've finished reading it.

When mail clients play games with the read flag, marking junk as read,
marking ignored messages as read, marking old messages as read, etc.,
etc., I can't tell what I've read or what it's mislabelled for me.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.