Re: Does ccsm work with nouveau?

Marko Vojinovic writes:

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 4:37 AM, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I can run ccsm without any apparent errors. I can choose to enable/disable
various plugins ccsm offers me, through its interface.

But that's pretty much it. I can see nothing that comes out from my fiddling
in ccsm. Bupkis. Nothing happens as a result of me flipping the various
knobs in ccsm. I enable, disable various plugins. Pushing the key sequence
that those plugins seem to be using results in nothing, zilch.

The only thing that works for me are the two checkmarks in the "Desktop
Effects" preferences dialog. I can make the windows wobble, and get the cube
effect when flipping through workspaces. But nothing in ccsm proper
apparently has any effect for me. I ran ccsm from a terminal window, in case
in blurts something to standard error, but nothing comes out, it just takes
my settings, and, nothing happens.

It's probably that the freshly-minted noveau driver doesn't yet implement
some key piece of functionality ccsm needs, but no error gets reported. But
maybe I've missed some required step somewhere along the way.

Not sure, but I believe this is a configuration issue. If windows do
wobble and the cube effect works, then nouveau driver seems to be
doing its job right.

I think this is a Gnome thing, starting compiz in a custom manner and
ignoring ccsm settings. Try to disable completely desktop effects in
Gnome, install fusion-icon, and use that to start compiz. Hopefully
then it will respect ccsm settings.

HTH, :-)

Thanks. Looks like starting Compiz using the fusion icon is the trick. Some of the ccsm settings still do not appear to do something -- "3D Windows" doesn't seem to do anything when I CTRL-ALT-Down and flip desktops, but others do, the water effect and the paint fire effect, so looks like it's working.

Still experimenting…