Re: Does ccsm work with nouveau?

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 4:37 AM, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I can run ccsm without any apparent errors. I can choose to enable/disable
> various plugins ccsm offers me, through its interface.
>
> But that's pretty much it. I can see nothing that comes out from my fiddling
> in ccsm. Bupkis. Nothing happens as a result of me flipping the various
> knobs in ccsm. I enable, disable various plugins. Pushing the key sequence
> that those plugins seem to be using results in nothing, zilch.
>
> The only thing that works for me are the two checkmarks in the "Desktop
> Effects" preferences dialog. I can make the windows wobble, and get the cube
> effect when flipping through workspaces. But nothing in ccsm proper
> apparently has any effect for me. I ran ccsm from a terminal window, in case
> in blurts something to standard error, but nothing comes out, it just takes
> my settings, and, nothing happens.
>
> It's probably that the freshly-minted noveau driver doesn't yet implement
> some key piece of functionality ccsm needs, but no error gets reported. But
> maybe I've missed some required step somewhere along the way.

Not sure, but I believe this is a configuration issue. If windows do
wobble and the cube effect works, then nouveau driver seems to be
doing its job right.

I think this is a Gnome thing, starting compiz in a custom manner and
ignoring ccsm settings. Try to disable completely desktop effects in
Gnome, install fusion-icon, and use that to start compiz. Hopefully
then it will respect ccsm settings.

HTH, :-)
Marko