Re: Improving the list climate [was Re: Fwd: Fedora Weekly News 228]

On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 21:01 -0700, Alan Evans wrote:
> 2010/6/3 Máirín Duffy <duffy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > Do we want new users to witness this kind of behavior? They are directed
> > towards this list right now via a number of different pointers. My team
> > is planning to redesign the Fedora website for Fedora 14, and I'm not
> > sure we can in good conscience continue to point new users to this list
>
> Let me get this straight: You remove relevant, helpful links from one
> Fedora site page and the user community explodes with queries,
> comments, and complaints about the omission. Now your response to this
> feedback is to suggest that *more* relevant, helpful links be removed
> from another page?
>
> I would laugh, but I think that you're serious.

I don't want to point people new to Fedora to a list with attitudes like
this and to come away with the notion that kind of treatment of people -
the dripping sarcasm, personal attacks, trolling - is representative of
Fedora. It's not. Maybe it's representative of this list (I haven't been
following it long enough to know for sure) but it is most certainly NOT
how things are done in Fedora.

So yes, a link to list this may not actually be a relevant and helpful
link for new users. There is some good rationale above as to why I
believe this, and unfortunately the tone of your response provides
further support.

> Not all of the feedback from this list was unconstructive. Not all of
> the responses were abusive or confrontational. But after reviewing the
> thread in question, I have to say that *many* of your responses were
> confrontational and many were, frankly, condescending. It didn't seem
> to matter whether the person you were replying to was trying to be
> constructive or snarky; your responses seemed designed to pour more
> fuel on the fire almost every time.

This is an unfair personal attack, and is not constructive especially
given the topic of the thread. Please let's talk about making things
better, and stop pointing fingers and making accusations.

~m