Re: DVD Installer on USB...?

On Monday, 31 May, 2010 @ 17:28 zulu,
David García Granda scribed:

> Maybe it's confusing, and it looks like link above mixes things up
> when talking about labels, but what it worked for me (pasted from
> my bash history):
>
> su -c 'yum -y install livecd-tools'
>
> su -c 'livecd-iso-to-disk --format --reset-mbr
> /home/david/Fedora-13-x86_64-DVD.iso /dev/sdc1'

If you unwrap that second command and you still can't get it to work,
I suggest using the Fedora LiveUSB Creator GUI tool... there's one for
windows too. https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/

This advice may sound strange as you specifically said you don't
want to create a 'Live' disk, but I know this works becaused I've made
bootable 4GB USB installers from both i386 and x86_64 fc12 iso's.

The 2-step method I used was
1) run the LiveUSB Creator using the DVD image as the source
2) delete the /packages and /repodata subdirectories from the USB
     stick, then copy the whole ISO to the root of the USB stick.

For the 64-bit version it required a semi-step of opening the
ISO file and deleting a few language files from the OpenOffice
package, saving the ISO to a new name so it would fit on the
USB stick, THEN copying it to the root of the USB stick. I
haven't made one for fc13 yet, so don't know if that's necessary.

Check for bootability with QEMU:

# mount
   to find where the USB stick mounted from (assuming autofs
   is installed), then, presuming it mounted from /dev/sdf, run

# umount /dev/sdf1
    to unmount it, then

# qemu -hda /dev/sdf -m 256 -vga std
    again, match the /dev/sd? part

If it boots properly using QEMU but won't boot your computer,
almost certainly the USB port is not configured correctly to be
bootable (e.g. in the computer's BIOS).

After it boots and you choose an install option from the
syslinux.cfg menu, it will ask you the location of the image
file and prompt you to choose its location from a list... it
shouldn't be hard to figure out which one is the USB stick.