Re: DVD Installer on USB...?

On Mon, 2010-05-31 at 10:01 -0600, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-05-30 at 11:39 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Sun, 2010-05-30 at 07:40 -0600, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> > > Anyone have a how-to/magic incantation to do this? Could we eventually
> > > make this an option for Fedora installers too?
> >
> > IIRC the Installation doc has a section on this.
>
> I checked it out. It says a straight forward dd command will create one.
>
> Unfortunately, while the dd command does appear to work and you can
> browse the contents of the USB drive afterwards, the USB drive is still
> NOT bootable.
>
> So, in fact, using dd to create this using the instructions in the
> documentation does not work.

I was convinced I'd actually done this, but my memory must be faulty.

However what you can do is create a Boot CD (download boot.iso) and then
install using the pendrive as installation media (created using dd as
above). I guess you could even create a Boot USB drive and a (separate)
Installation pendrive on two USB ports. Or try partitioning the
pendrive, installing the boot.iso file on the first partition (e.g.
using Live-CD Creator) and putting the distro DVD on the other.

poc