Re: Correct instructions for installing NVidia proprietary driver on Fedora 13?

On 05/31/2010 12:36 PM, Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
>> Hello Everyone9,
>> If the output of "/sbin/lspci | grep VGA" is:
>> 03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G94 [GeForce 9600 GT]
>>
> (rev
>
>> a1)
>>
>> are the correct instructions for installing the proprietary NVidia driver
>>
> still
>
>> located here:
>> http://fedorasolved.org/video-solutions/nvidia-yum-kmod
>>
>> I have tried the above referenced instructions a couple of times, with the
>>
> same,
>
>> bad results...  I am now going to try again, paying special attention to the
>> "Troubleshooting" section...  With this exact system, I have been so used to
>> everything working (up until I installed Fedora 13) that I have never even had
>> to look at the troubleshooting  steps for these instructions before.
>>
>> I will get back to you with whatever happens.
>>
> Hello Everyone,
> Since nothing has been figured out about this issue that I'm having yet, I
> thought I'd give you a lot more detail about my system:
>
> Main System: SuperMicro SuperWorkstation SYS-5046A-XB
> Motherboard: SuperMicro Super C7X58
> ICPU: ntel(R) Xeon(R) QuadCore CPU E5504 2.00GHz
> Memory: 8GB of RAM: Kingston ValueRAM 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
> (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit
> Video Card: nVidia GeForce 9600 GT (512MB of DDR2 memory on board.)
>
> Like I've said elsewhere in this thread, the proprietary nVidia drivers from
> rpmfusion worked great on this same system under Fedora 12.  I even used the
> same instructions TRYING to get it to work under Fedora 13 that I used to
> SUCCESSFULLY get it working under Fedora 12.
>
> Also, both my Fedora 12 and my current Fedora 13 installs were full installs
> from the DVD.  They were NOT upgrades, I completely wiped out the previous
> Fedora install.
>
> Steven P. Ulrick

I am baffled on this Steve

I am now having serious doubts about installing F13

As you said F12 is no problem
I reinstated nouveau on my F12 and reinstalled Nvidia drivers in about 5
minutes on this F12 machine.
I am running a Nvidia 9400 gt and it was a snap to install

I did not use the nomodeset command at the Grub.conf file just
rdblacklist-nouveau after quiet on all kernel lines

Worked like a charm

I for one have to have Nvidia drivers for the cuda on the Nvidia 9400gt
as I use the gpu to do Seti@home so nouveau is totally out and the mesa
drivers do not support cuda

Do you by chance have another PCIE nvidia that you can try just to see
if something went awry with your 9600. If no luck then I would say it is
a F13 bug.

Lots of other people have installed Nvidia with F13 and apparently it is
supposed to be a snap.

Michael