Re: Installing F13

On Sun, 2010-05-30 at 08:29 -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> On Sun, 30 May 2010, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>
> > Why can't they just admit that LVM is a bad idea?
> > It belongs to a past age when disk-space was limited.
>
> LVM is probably useful.
> That said, I was innoculated against its virtues when
> it was sprung on me as a surprise during an install.

Actually I disagree about LVM. It comes in very handy in disk
constrained situations like what you will typically find in enterprise
virtual infrastructure environments. When you are regularly re-sizing
virtual disks for various purposes, it's a lot faster and more
convenient than non-destructive partition re-sizers.

I do agree that it's pretty much non-useful in most newer desktops and
laptops where the disk size is going to be basically the same for the
life of the system. Too bad it isn't currently one of the high level
(aka simple) options when setting up the file systems during install.

Cheers,

Chris

--
"You see things as they are and ask, 'Why?'

-- George Bernard Shaw