Re: root password prompts

Mike McCarty wrote:
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>> On Wed, 2010-05-26 at 14:39 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>> Where is this mythical setting to make it
>>> remember the password?
>> AFAIK this is a function of 'sudo'. It asks you the first time and
>> remembers for a few minutes after. I've never seen this behaviour other
>> than with sudo.
>
> Umm, perhaps you mean su. The sudo command does not prompt
> for the root password.

I guess this is too brief. The sudo command does not prompt
for the root password. The su command may prompt for the
root password, and always does if it ever does, unless being
invoked by root. The sudo command does make entries in a log
which it checks, and if it prompts for the user password (not
root, even if root invokes it) then it does not do so if
invoked again by the same user within a certain time period.

I hope that isn't too confusing. I'm sure man su and man sudo
will help untangle it all.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.