Re: Regarding Get Fedora page

2010/5/26 Máirín Duffy <duffy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> The links you referenced were removed quite explicitly in the design.
> The assumption was that if someone understands how to use bittorrent,
> jigdo, and mirror lists, they are more than capable of making use of a
> search engine to find them.

I hope that this thread is a demonstration that folks who *could* use
a search engine may have been well-served by a page design that didn't
deliberately exclude them.

> Unsurprisingly, the first links for each
> 'fedora torrent', 'fedora mirrors', and 'fedora jigdo' on Google direct
> you to the correct location. However, for those users who don't
> understand what those things are and don't need them, the new design is
> a vast improvement in preventing them from having to navigate around a
> cluttered grid of links full of complicated jargon in order to get
> Fedora. A search engine would not be of any use in solving their
> problem.

I'm sure that I'm not the only one who wasted a considerable amount of
time looking for options that, although quite reasonably expected to
be, simply weren't there. The fact that a search engine is available
doesn't imply that it's my first choice, especially when I think I
know where to find my answers without it.

-Alan