Re: Adjust remaining battery power warning threshold

Matthew Saltzman writes:

Not always.  If you allow the battery to drain just a percent or two and
plug it back in, it won't charge.  If you drain it a bit more, it will.
The Thinkpad battery manager from Lenovo takes that a step further,

I think this battery manager thingy is some custom job for their hardware only. It's my understanding that charging and power management-related stuff is handled by the BIOS, and the stock power management interface to the running operating system is mostly an interface that reports the battery level and the charging status.

I don't think that, per se, a generic operating system has any control over whether the battery is charging or not. The Thinkpad battery management thingy is probably using some Thinkpad-specific access.

The Lenovo folks apparently think that many very short charging cycles
(such as if you usually run plugged in, but suspend to transport the
machine rather than shutting down) or keeping the battery fully charged
for long periods of time without draining it shortens overall battery
life.  Who am I to disagree?

I tend to agree. I think that my current battery is over a year old, and it's still at 85% of its original capacity. I've been running it on long discharge/charge cycles.