Re: Importing an mbox into Imap

On Mon, 2010-05-24 at 14:38 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> Just import the mbox file into any IMAP client (Thunderbird,
> Evolution, Claws, whatever ...)

I've tried this with fairly large spool files, on Evolution (painfully
slow, and needs doing in chunks - select a month's mail, drag and drop
it between folders), and Thunderbird (eventually fails part way through,
even in chunks, with no clue as to how far along it got).  So I'd like
to find a good tool for doing this, too.

-rw------- 1 tim tim 663987436 2010-03-05 18:21 /home/tim/mail/lists/Fedora

Thanks to the slowness (the above would take hours and hours), I've left
my mail server still running on FC4.  The last attempt at moving the
mail, aborted because I simply don't have the time to babysit a machine
for that amount of time, I copied the spool file onto a newly set up
CentOS box as /var/mail/tim and tried dragging the contents of the inbox
to another folder through the IMAP server on the CentOS box, figuring
that that'd be quicker that trying to network it between two mail
servers.  It was still excruciatingly painfully slow.

I want to move from spool files to maildir, because it's getting
impossible to use with huge spool files.  Any status change of the spool
file takes ages to complete, and you can't do anything else while you
wait (e.g. you can't read another message).

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.