Re: Adjust remaining battery power warning threshold

On Mon, 2010-05-24 at 19:04 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Whether or not my battery is charging depends on whether it's getting
> AC power. If it's on AC power, it charges. When the battery is full it
> stops charging, and from that point it runs on AC power, without
> taking the juice from the battery.

It depends on the laptop.  The older ones just have simply hardware
control of charging, as you described.  Newer ones have firmware control
of charging, and some allow you to vary the parameters.

In theory, more intelligent control of the battery should prolong its
life (though mine only lasted about two years, so that's not an
improvement).  And I can see the potential for really bad settings to be
set.  I hope the firmware has sensible defaults for when an OS doesn't
try to control the charging.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686