Re: Importing an mbox into Imap

On 05/24/2010 07:40 PM, Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-05-24 at 14:38 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>> Just import the mbox file into any IMAP client (Thunderbird,
>> Evolution, Claws, whatever ...)
>
> I've tried this with fairly large spool files, on Evolution (painfully
> slow, and needs doing in chunks - select a month's mail, drag and drop
> it between folders), and Thunderbird (eventually fails part way through,
> even in chunks, with no clue as to how far along it got).  So I'd like
> to find a good tool for doing this, too.
>
> -rw------- 1 tim tim 663987436 2010-03-05 18:21 /home/tim/mail/lists/Fedora

Hi,

so it's more a year of Fedora mails, in a file,

I has the same problem tens of thousands emails,
I evaluate mbox, vs maildir, decided keep with mbox in separated files,

because trying to rsync that quantity of emails in maildir well seemed
in my case take a long time.

seems which your only options to separate the mbox are:

procmail

but I'm unable to find a procmail recipe to evaluate the original date
field from a email to construct a mailbox in the format fedora_year_month/

deliver from dovecot using a sieve script, that I have it working (I
have the sieve rules to evaluate the date from the email but I need to
extract the relevant parts from the script because filter many things
more which mailing lists

and is only tested with deliver from dovecot, so if you don't use
dovecot  will not work for you

and will take hours, but will be automatic

Gabriel