Re: Fedora-12 boot fails at "Starting udev:"

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 9:08 AM, William Perkins <wperkins@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am having a boot problem on my work station with any of the
> Fedora-12 update kernels.  The hardware appears to lock up with
> no response possible from the keyboard.  They all fail by hanging
> at the "Starting udev:" line during the boot process.

It might seem hung, but try waiting a few minutes. For me, my boot
time went from ~30sec -> 3min 30sec after a kernel update (I don't
remember which one). But yeah, I think udev is the culprit... I just
haven't had time lately to track down what's going on w/ it.

Here's a bootchart I just ran today (3:33):
http://imagebin.ca/view/xpnUEhhG.html

> The original
> installed kernel (2.6.31.5-127.fc12.x86_64 #1 SMP) boots and works
> just fine.  I am not new at using Linux, but this is the first time
> that I have encountered this type of problem and I am unsure where
> I need to start and what tools I need to use to resolve the problem.
> Any pointers would be helpful.
>
> This is a home build system using a Tyan Thunder K8WE (S2895)
> motherboard with one processor and four gig of memory, and has an
> array of disks using SCSI (primary partitions), SATA and IDE
> interfaces.  Software RAID and LVM are used to organize the disk
> partitions and file systems.

ditto RAID + LVM setup, but I'm not sure this is where the problem is.