Fedora-12 boot fails at "Starting udev:"

I am having a boot problem on my work station with any of the
Fedora-12 update kernels.  The hardware appears to lock up with
no response possible from the keyboard.  They all fail by hanging
at the "Starting udev:" line during the boot process.  The original
installed kernel (2.6.31.5-127.fc12.x86_64 #1 SMP) boots and works
just fine.  I am not new at using Linux, but this is the first time
that I have encountered this type of problem and I am unsure where
I need to start and what tools I need to use to resolve the problem.
Any pointers would be helpful.

This is a home build system using a Tyan Thunder K8WE (S2895)
motherboard with one processor and four gig of memory, and has an
array of disks using SCSI (primary partitions), SATA and IDE
interfaces.  Software RAID and LVM are used to organize the disk
partitions and file systems.  This system is about five years old
and has never had any hardware problems except for disk and fan
failures.

73,

Bill

----
William M. Perkins, KJ4ASH         UNIX/Linux Systems Administrator
The Greenwood                           ARES / Skywarn / ARCA
Galax, Virginia                        E-mail - wmp@xxxxxxxxxxx