Re: Can Windows and Linux co-exist?

aragonx@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> I'm thinking specifically (at the moment)
>> of MySQL, openVPN and openLDAP.
>> Is there anywhere an account of how to set up
>> a Windows client with a Linux server
>> for these applications?
>
> I've setup FreeS/WAN (http://www.freeswan.org/) for my VPN.  It seemed to
> work quite well from Windows and Linux clients alike.  I haven't used the
> LDAP so I can not comment on that but MySQL works fine from my Windows and
> Linux clients also.

Thanks for the info, and the suggestions.
I now have MySQL working perfectly from Windows.
And LDAP works in the sense that I can access my OpenLDAP data
from http:<server>/phpLDAPadmin ;
I haven't yet worked out how to access my LDAP address book
from inside Outlook 2003.

I'll turn to VPN next.
I want to stick to OpenVPN on my Linux server and machines,
since this works perfectly.
It wasn't clear to me if Freeswan works with OpenVPN,
and I'm not really clear about the relation between IPsec and VPN,
or indeed what the purpose of IPsec is,
since all my inter-machine communication already seems to be encrypted.
But I shall continue my study ...

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net