Re: static ip in f11, f12 using networkmanager

On 05/07/2010 10:59 PM, jackson byers wrote:
> byers@f12 ~]$ uname -r
> 2.6.32.11-99.fc12.i686.PAE
>
> recent traffic on this list has had one or more reports
> of using static ip with networkmanager.
>
> I also still have a working f10, that used static ip ,
> but with network, not networkmanager.
>
> To change to static ip in my f12,  but using networkmanager
> is it sufficient to use a copy of my f10  ifcfg-eth0:
>
> # Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5702X Gigabit Ethernet
> DEVICE=eth0
> HWADDR=00:xx..............
> BROADCAST=255.255.255.255
> ONBOOT=yes
> BOOTPROTO=static
> IPADDR=192.168.2.8
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> NETWORK=192.168.2.0
> GATEWAY=192.168.2.1
> TYPE=Ethernet
> NM_CONTROLLED=no
> USERCTL=no
> PEERDNS=yes
>
> in place of present f12:
>
> [byers@f12 ~]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
> # Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5702X Gigabit Ethernet
> DEVICE=eth0
> HWADDR=00:xx..............
> ONBOOT=yes
>
> ?
> then just
> service  NetworkManager restart
>
> is that ok,  complete?
>
> thanks
> Jack
> or more steps needed?

I use networkmanager with fixed ip addresses with KDE. The setup I have
does not automatically connect to any network, wireless or wired. This
arrangement means I have to start knetwormanager, which with it being
configured, I use to create network connection(s). The system network
configuration has no devices configured, although I have configured DNS
and hosts as this makes NFS configuration slightly easier. It has it's
quirky problems which I know how to work round, but I'm more comfortable
having networking operated this way, even using cnetworkmanager on
occasion, indirectly via knemo. None of this requires any editing of
system files.

Keep exploring,and I'm sure you'll find what suits you.

JB