Re: static ip in f11, f12 using networkmanager

On 05/07/2010 03:59 PM, jackson byers wrote:
> byers@f12 ~]$ uname -r
> 2.6.32.11-99.fc12.i686.PAE
>
> recent traffic on this list has had one or more reports
> of using static ip with networkmanager.
>
> I also still have a working f10, that used static ip ,
> but with network, not networkmanager.
>
> To change to static ip in my f12,  but using networkmanager
> is it sufficient to use a copy of my f10  ifcfg-eth0:
>
> # Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5702X Gigabit Ethernet
> DEVICE=eth0
> HWADDR=00:xx..............
> BROADCAST=255.255.255.255
> ONBOOT=yes
> BOOTPROTO=static
> IPADDR=192.168.2.8
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> NETWORK=192.168.2.0
> GATEWAY=192.168.2.1
> TYPE=Ethernet
> NM_CONTROLLED=no
> USERCTL=no
> PEERDNS=yes
>
> in place of present f12:
>
> [byers@f12 ~]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
> # Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5702X Gigabit Ethernet
> DEVICE=eth0
> HWADDR=00:xx..............
> ONBOOT=yes
>
> ?
> then just
> service  NetworkManager restart
>
> is that ok,  complete?
>
> thanks
> Jack
> or more steps needed?

NM_CONTROLLED=

Depending upon what you want to do.

Will you ever use a Cell card on this system?
Will you ever change IPs temporarily, or often?

It can be useful to let Network Manager manage the ifcfg-eth0 file.

If you set:
     NM_CONTROLLED=yes

Network Manager will 'keep and eye' on the file, and automatically make
any changes you specify there, without having to restart anything.

This also allows Network Manager to decide if that route is still
appropriate if you plug in and play with another network device, such as
a cell card, a USB dongle, wireless dongle, bluetooth dongle to use your
cell phone, etc etc

You can also play tricks with network based applications like ntpd, and
tell Network Manager only to run ntpd if eth0 is up and active.

<attempt at humor> Don't you bring your cell card to work and use it to
surf sites that are normally blocked?</attempt at humor>

Lots of options with NM in control, but on a fixed IP stationary
workstation or server, it is still best to continue to use just the old
network scripts and turn NM off.

Good Luck!