Re: OT gmail alert -- spam or real?

On Thu, 2010-05-06 at 22:47 -0700, Brian Mury wrote:
> The likelihood of any reputable company (at least one from an English
> speaking country, and Google is a U.S. company) sending out anything
> with such atrocious spelling/grammar/capitalization/punctuation/sentence
> structure/formatting is also extremely low. If it reads like it was
> written by someone from Nigeria - it probably was!

I agree with that.  But when you look at the failed grade school writing
ability of a great number of people on the internet, I seriously begin
to doubt whether they could recognise the difference between a well
written letter and a bad one.

Chatting to some people, face to face, about these sorts of scams, and
saying the same sort of thing to them that you have, explaining what I
would have thought was utterly obvious from just a cursory glance at the
scam, I've come to the conclusion that the world is full of incredibly
stupid people.  None of them had anything more than the slightest of
suspicions that the scam was a scam.

And, on the other hand, I've had similar misgivings about lack of
caution when speaking to my bank and our alarm security service.  They
do scant verification of identity, and expect me to do the same with
them.  Of all people, they should be the most cautious, and aware of
why.  But they're not.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686