OT gmail alert -- spam or real?

I don't know how to tell whether the below quoted email is really from
gmail or some sort of spam/scan.  I don't recall ever giving my birthdate
to gmail before, or having to put in my password except when starting
gmail. .....?
Any other users on this list seeing this?

thanks for advice
Jack

from	Gmail Support <useralert00@xxxxxxxxx>
date	Sun, May 2, 2010 at 7:19 PM
subject	ALERT: Act Fast!
mailed-by	gmail.com
signed-by	gmail.com
hide details May 2 (4 days ago)
Gmail Team is working on total security on all accounts and as a
result of this security upgrade we require all Google members to
verify their account with Google. To prevent your account from
disability you will have to update your information by clicking the
reply button and filling the space below.

Account:
Password:
Birth date:
Country:
Warning!!! Account owner that refuses to update his or her account
within Seven days of receiving this warning will lose his or her
account permanently.
Thank you for using Gmail!

The Gmail Team