Re: seeking resolution to Network Device difficulties

Tim wrote:

> As far as your neighbour being connected, you could try the same release
> trick.  Though, if you secured your router, like you should do, then
> they can't connect.  Once you let a strange in they can do all sorts of
> damage, whether accidentally, or on purpose.

Yes, my network is secured, using wpa, of course. When I was learning how to
get wireless working (just got a laptop about 18 months ago), I initially set
up the network without encryption (enabled only during the time while I was
testing and configuring), just to test that it was connecting, and when I had
established that I was able to connect, I set up wpa encryption, which I have
used without interruption ever since. The neighbour must have connected by
sheer coincidence during this testing period. I am fairly sure there was no
malicious intent. He might not even know he connected to my wireless, unless
he got abruptly cut off during my testing endeavours, since his computer
likely just scanned available networks and connected to the first available
one (that happened to me once with fedora 12 when I was on vacation, when
wireless was working -- it no longer works in fedora 13, except using
cnetworkmanager). I have also blocked all access to the web using that IP
address/MAC address (since I am unable to delete his MAC address).

The router is a 2wire Gateway. Actually, I like it, but it would be nice to
be able to release addresses. The web interface's usability is adequate, but
there is no indication of a telnet interface.