Re: seeking resolution to Network Device difficulties

On Thu, 2010-05-06 at 12:58 -0600, Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
> I just called my internet provider (who supply the router with my
> monthly subscription). It turns out that the only way to get rid of an
> old computer on my network and free up a previously used IP address is
> to reset the device and reconfigure the whole thing, including
> wireless setup, access control, the whole 9 yards.

Hmm. what a crappy device.  Tell us what it is, so the rest of us can
reject buying/accepting one of them.

It's also possible the advice is wrong.  They may not want to give you
lengthy help, so they just give out simplistic advice.  Or they just
simply don't know what they're talking about.

Many routers have two reset options.  Quickly pressing a reset key will
reset the hardware, but keep the old settings (rules you've manually set
should stay, but it should lose automatically assigned addresses).  And
holding in the reset button for a number of seconds doing a hard reset
of everything.

Some router also have a telnet command line interface, which may offer
different options than configuring it through a web page.

Another approach is to do it at the computer.  Have your computer
connect with the address you want to lose, then issue a DHCP release
command.

As far as your neighbour being connected, you could try the same release
trick.  Though, if you secured your router, like you should do, then
they can't connect.  Once you let a strange in they can do all sorts of
damage, whether accidentally, or on purpose.  Everything from messing
with things on your computers, to doing illegal things in your name.

I've seen at least one wireless router (D-Link DIR-300) that comes, as
default, with no security.  So your first set of configuring exposes all
your settings to anyone snooping, including passwords (because they're
all sitting in the HTML source code of the web page configuration, and
will be transmitted in the clear when it sends you a page, and when you
submit form data).

About the only way around it is to turn it on, connect up with a cable,
do not set private settings (usernames and passwords), log in with the
default password, turn off wireless, save settings and reboot it to be
sure that wireless has actually turned off right now, turn on encryption
security settings, configure it and put in your private credentials,
save your settings and reboot to be sure that it actually is in a secure
operating mode before you turn on the wireless, turn on wireless, save
settings, and reboot to check everything works as expected when the
device is cold started.

(The rebooting, on some devices, is necessary because although you might
have saved settings, they're not always acted upon until the device is
rebooted.  They must have been designed by a Windows user who's so used
to rebooting all the time that they don't know how annoying that is to
everyone else who's used better things that don't need it.)

All in all, it's ridiculously convoluted chain of events!

I've also seen devices that expose all your settings to the internet,
because their configuration web server answers to all queries on any
interface.  If the user left the default password on the device, as many
people do, you can log in and see their ISP logon credentials.  I found
one of them, a few years back, when I was checking out whether my router
was badly designed in that way, and accidentally typed in the wrong IP
address, connecting to someone else rather than my system.

It's no wonder the internet is so full of crap when there's so many
badly designed devices and operating systems, never mind the clueless
users...

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686