Re: Hulu and 64 bit linux firefox

--- On Wed, 4/28/10, Henry Wyatt <hewjr1000@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Has anyone experienced problems playing videos in Hulu with 64 bit Firefox
>
> I get the following message:
>
>   “Were sorry but we are unable to stream video to your system, this may
> be due to a limitation of Adobe software on 64 bit Linux”

Yes.  The "problem" appeared about 6 to 8 weeks ago.  It's specific only to 64-bit Flash, it seems, and not just Firefox.  And the "problem" appears with any other video streaming sight that uses Hulu to get its content like Fancast and AOL's SlashControl.  Plus, it's not specific to Linux.  64-bit Windows and OSX users are experiencing it, too, last time I checked about 6 weeks ago.

There's no problem with 32-bit systems running 32-bit Flash.  Streams just fine.  Some 64-bit Linux users are "wrapping" 32-bit Flash with their 64-bit browsers, but that "fix" doesn't always work.  Others are just using a 32-bit browser with 32-bit Flash on their 64-bit systems, which seems to work well.  Or you can run 32-bit Linux in a VM, which works pretty much 100% of the time.  (I tried several "lightweight"  distros, but the LiveCD or "minimal" versions of Scientific Linux (installed) were the smoothest on my Athlon64 X2 2.9 GHZ, 4 GB RAM system.)  Or you can install the Beta of Hulu's Desktop player (They have a Linux version, 32 and 64-bit) which works fine on my 64-bit Fedora 12 system, but navigating to get to the video you want to watch is a pain in the butt.  Takes 3 times longer than the stock Hulu site to do the same thing.  (Hulu spent too much effort on the "coolness", and not enough on "ease of use".)  Because of that last thing, I've,
 of late, been streaming what TV shows I can directly from the network web sites.

No word from Hulu about why the problem or if they are trying to fix it.  And believe me a lot of Hulu users asked, including me.  I just got a "canned" reply.  My guess is they aren't doing anything.  Why not, I don't know.