Re: Best Laptop Experience with Fedora

David Bartmess <dingodave@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> I'll second that with HP laptops. I have a HP Pavilion ZV5000 that works
> flawlessly with Wifi and everything.

I've probably got the the Compaq branded version -- V5000Z.

You can't go too wrong with the HP or Compaq laptops.  Lets face it, HP
and Compaq's are dirt cheap, mostly straight reference designs. It means
that you can easily get replacement parts scavanged from a large number
of other HP/Compaq machines (which is rare for laptops).  It also means
that there are fewer curve balls the laptop designs throw at Linux.  All
the important things work well enough.

The crunchy parts are the same as for other laptops.  Wifi with the
"odd" features is a bit lacking.  The builtin Broadcomm adaptor is an
a/b/g but the linux drivers only know how to run it on b/g.  The
frambuffer is a stock ATI laptop Radeon, but it really only works in 2D
with some 3D done in software.  Sleep-to-ram and sleep-to-disk work with
some versions of the kernel, but not others.  Again, this is fairly
normal for most hardware.

As soon as SSD drops in price a bit I'll update my old PATA-disk laptop
with one that uses SATA and can take the Intel SSD's.  I'll get whatever
AMD 15" laptop is current then.  Usually it is cheaper to get the
configure-yourself low-end with the upgraded CPU and then put more dram
and a better disk in yourself.

-wolfggang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht
If the airwaves belong to the public why does the public only get 3