Re: Firewall activity log -

On 23/04/10 16:16, Dale Dellutri wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 1:10 PM, Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:bobgoodwin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>

>        Through F-11 I ran Firestarter, it is not available for F-12
>     apparently.
>
>        The attractive thing with firestarter was the log it produced. When
>        I had a problem with an application I could look at the log and see
>        what the firewall was blocking. How can I do that with the firewall
>        provided with F-12. I have an application that doesn't work
>     properly
>        with the firewall enabled but is good with it disabled. Obviously I
>        would like to know why.
>
>        Any help appreciated.
>

> You'd need to add log rules yourself.  How and where to add them depends
> on your current firewall setup.
>
> If you can test your failing application during a time when the
> network is quiet,
> you can start by just looking at the counts to see where packets are
> being dropped.
>
> For example, on my F12 desktop, I did the following as root.  The
> first command
> zeroes out the counters, the second was done a few seconds later:
>
> # iptables -Z
> # iptables --line-number -nvL
> Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
> num   pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out
> source               destination
> 1        9  1192 ACCEPT     all  --  *      * 0.0.0.0/0
> <http://0.0.0.0/0> 0.0.0.0/0 <http://0.0.0.0/0>           state
> RELATED,ESTABLISHED
> 2        0     0 ACCEPT     icmp --  *      * 0.0.0.0/0
> <http://0.0.0.0/0> 0.0.0.0/0 <http://0.0.0.0/0>
> 3        0     0 ACCEPT     all  --  lo     * 0.0.0.0/0
> <http://0.0.0.0/0> 0.0.0.0/0 <http://0.0.0.0/0>
> 4        0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  *      * 0.0.0.0/0
> <http://0.0.0.0/0> 0.0.0.0/0 <http://0.0.0.0/0>           state NEW
> tcp dpt:22
> 5        1    97 REJECT     all  --  *      * 0.0.0.0/0
> <http://0.0.0.0/0> 0.0.0.0/0 <http://0.0.0.0/0>           reject-with
> icmp-host-prohibited
> Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
> num   pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out
> source               destination
> 1        0     0 REJECT     all  --  *      * 0.0.0.0/0
> <http://0.0.0.0/0> 0.0.0.0/0 <http://0.0.0.0/0>           reject-with
> icmp-host-prohibited
> Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 10 packets, 1868 bytes)
> num   pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out
> source               destination
>
> As you can see, in the few seconds between commands, 9 RELATED or
> ESTABLISHED packets came in (and were accepted by rule 1).  1 packet was
> rejected by rule 5.
>
> If I wanted to get details about the rejected packets, I'd add a log
> rule just before
> the reject rule (DO NOT JUST COPY THIS COMMAND!  Your iptables rules
> are probably different.):
>
>   iptables -I INPUT 5 -j LOG --log-prefix "ipables INPUT: "

> [...]

    First, thanks for the information I will play with that and save it
    in my notes.

    Yes I knew what ports it wanted, and I had opened them in the router
    but it turns out iptables was blocking them. I used the "setup"
    utility to open ports 5198-5200 and things immediately began to work.

    But the scheme you describe for determining what is being blocked is
    what I need. I will experiment with that.

    Again thanks for the help.

    Bob