Re: [OT] Deafening silence

On Thu, 2010-04-22 at 18:51 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 15:27 -0400, fred smith wrote:
> > Yeah, I've tried Evolution 2 or 3 times over the last few years and
> > always ended up being disappointed. For one thing it's DOG SLOW. It
> > seems to want to index all the mail folders every time it starts and
> > that can take MINUTES. and even when past that it's still like
> > molasses climbing a hill in January in northern canada.
>
> I can't say I notice it trying to index everything when firing up.
> Though I haven't got it set to check all folders, nor do spam checking,
> nor do filtering.
>
> Filtering is dead slow, that's for sure.  After setting up about four
> filters, it gets really painful.  So I just drag a bunch of messages
> from my inbox to a folder, every now and then.

I have a whole bunch of filters and don't even notice the time lag. Note
that you can log filter actions to see what Evo is doing (this requires
editing a Gconf flag but it's not hard). Obviously the complexity of the
filters can play a part, e.g. if they have to do LDAP lookups against a
slow server then you're asking for trouble.

> It's also rather bad at doing two things at once.  Such as deleting a
> message, then trying to read another one.  It won't open the next one
> until the deletion has completely finished what it's up to.

True. As I said in an earlier reply, the hope is that changing Bonobo
for D-Bus will help a lot.

> But, despite the problems, it's still the least worst GUI client
> available to me, out of those I've tried.  That's hardly a good
> recommendation, though.

Agreed. Every so often I get mad at Evo and switch to TBird for half an
hour or so, then switch back. I've also tried Claws for a few days and
didn't like it much (it didn't support correct IMAP deletion at the
time, maybe that's changed), but that's more a question of what you're
used to.

poc