Re: Yum Update - Metadata does not match checksum

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 09:26:08 +0200, Melanie wrote:

> Am Samstag, den 10.04.2010, 15:52 -0700 schrieb Craig White:
> > On Sun, 2010-04-11 at 00:02 +0200, Melanie wrote:
> > > Am Samstag, den 10.04.2010, 12:47 -0700 schrieb Craig White:
> >
> > > Hi Craig!
> > >
> > > I am using the ext4 filesystem.
> > >
> > > To edit config files I just use "vi".
> > >
> > > I know that updating with yum should be very simple. On my old pc I have
> > > fedora 10 (32bit) installed, without any problems. But you are right, I
> > > think that something is wrong with my pc or maybe I use a wrong command.
> > >
> > > Is it possible that this errors occur because of wrong network
> > > configuration? Everytime when I open network configuration (in gnome) I
> > > get following message: Error while parsing /etc/hosts:
> > > Wrong IP on line 1
> > >
> > > This is my hostfile (I didn´t change this file)
> > > hostname Melanie added to /etc/hosts by anaconda
> > > 127.0.0.1   localhost localhost.localdomain localhost4
> > > localhost4.localdomain4 Melanie
> > > ::1         localhost localhost.localdomain localhost6
> > > localhost6.localdomain6 Melanie
> > >
> > > I googled for this error message, but I think I didn´t understand the
> > > threads. Every hostfile looks a little bit different and I am confused
> > > if my hostfile is ok, or not.
> > >
> > > Thanks a lot for you help and informations!
> > ----
> > the first line should be commented out...
> >
> > #hostname Melanie added to /etc/hosts by anaconda
> >
> > the first non-commented line should just be...
> > 127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain \
> > localhost4 localhost4.localdomain4 Melanie
> >
> > Craig
> >

> Hi Craig!
>
> Thanks again for your fast help. I changed the hostfile. But I still get
> the error messages (for most of the mirrors HTTP416 and for some mirrors
> "metadata does not match checksum")
>
> At the moment I am out of ideas.

Changing the hosts file and entries for "localhost" is very unlikely to
fix your issues.

It seems to me you're facing some sort of network data corruption.
Firefox running into error conditions is another indication of networking
problems. HTTP error 416 is "Requested Range Not Satisfiable". If you get
that too often and with many mirrors (that normally support range
requests), it's evidence of something getting corrupted during download.

You've quoted metadata checksum errors even for repository "fedora".
That's the release repo that hasn't changed since Nov 2009. The metadata
files for that repo are unchanged for several months. Failure to download
them is not due to mirrors being out-of-sync, but due to a problem with your
hardware and/or software.