Re: Yum Update - Metadata does not match checksum [Solved]

Am Sonntag, den 11.04.2010, 10:50 +0200 schrieb Michael Schwendt:

> Changing the hosts file and entries for "localhost" is very unlikely to
> fix your issues.
>
> It seems to me you're facing some sort of network data corruption.
> Firefox running into error conditions is another indication of networking
> problems. HTTP error 416 is "Requested Range Not Satisfiable". If you get
> that too often and with many mirrors (that normally support range
> requests), it's evidence of something getting corrupted during download.
>
> You've quoted metadata checksum errors even for repository "fedora".
> That's the release repo that hasn't changed since Nov 2009. The metadata
> files for that repo are unchanged for several months. Failure to download
> them is not due to mirrors being out-of-sync, but due to a problem with your
> hardware and/or software.

Hi Michael!

Thanks a lot for your hint of network data corruption.

I found a lot of threads, that my ethernet controller makes problems. I
use the Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express
Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 02). I read that for this card the
wrong driver is used: R8169 instead of R8168.

And I found this command /usr/sbin/ethtool -K eth0 rx off

(http://rudd-o.com/en/linux-and-free-software/how-to-solve-network-data-corruption-with-realtek-cards)

And now yum is downloading the files for update without errors! :-)

The next days, I will try to install the correct driver for my ethernet
controller!

Thanks a lot to Craig and Michael!

Best regards,
Melanie