Re: Firefox not running : unable to load XPCOM > (was Re:)

Hi Don,

2010/4/5 Don Vogt <dnvot@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> this problem but
>> >>
>> ~/.mozilla/firefox/YOUR_SALTED_PROFILE/pluginreg.dat and it
>> will be

>> your whole ~/.mozilla
>> again which is a very
>> .mozilla/firefox directory is
>> you are prepared to
>> >>

>> > Both of these were among the first things suggested to
>> the OP. :) But
>> > they didn't make any difference. I think this is one
>> of the problems
>> > with nspluginwrapper, since its installation is
>> system-wide it is very
>> > difficult to isolate when it malfunctions. All the
>> usual troubleshooting
>> > methodology starts failing.
>>
>> Actually everything looked fine on Don's system.
>>
>> > Thankfully Don was very observant and picked up on the
>> error message in
>> > the terminal. Otherwise even knowing that its
>> installed would have been
>> > difficult to guess over emails. Lets hope the problem
>> is isolated now,
>> > and can be resolved.
>>
>> I agree the best option is to get rid of nspluginwrapper:
>> Don is not
>> using it at all and it triggers an error (perfect match!).
>> If it
>> doesn't work, then I would focus in outputs from
>> package-cleanup to
>> inspect suspicious packages installed (there is some livna
>> related
>> packages and others (fc10/11) that can lead to confusion
>> or
>> misconfiguration)
>>
>> Regards,
>>
> I tried renaming ~/.mozilla and starting firefox, with no success.
> I believe that, since firefox never starts, it will not rewrite the ~/.mozilla directory.
> When I enter firefox in a terminal, it comes back with "couldn't load XPCOM" in about a second, so it isn't getting very far.

Did you remove nspluginwrapper?

>  I tried to clean things up a bit using package-cleanup but didn't do much. I did clean out old kernels and kernel-devel files. That didn't solve the problem.

What about removing packages from fc10 and fc11?

goffice04-0.4.3-5.fc11.i586
libdhcp4client-4.0.0-37.fc10.i386
libdvdcss-1.2.10-1.i386
libvolume_id-141-7.fc11.i586

Livna is also out of the picture because it was merged with others and
became rpmfusion, so you can remove livna-release-1-1.noarch

> I am not sure I mentioned it before, but I installed another, newer, version of firefox. It is a different version , from mozilla.org, that installs in my home directory instead of on the system. So far that works fine in parallel with the yum installed version (which still doesn't work).

First notice. I don't think is a good idea to have applications
installed both using official package and manually, but it's your
system.

> I have attached new versions of the output of package-cleanup --orphans and --leaves, just in case I changed anything.
> I believe I have tried everything that has been suggested, with no success. I intend to putter with the package-cleanup files next.
>  I am putting this on the back burner now because:
> 1. I have a working firefox.
> 2 fc13 is coming soon and I need to do a complete re-install anyhow. I have been using preupgrade with great success since fc9 but things are getting messy. My system is a mess with 3 hard drives, grub boot record installed on /dev/sda and the grub files on sda8, but I run fc12 from /dev/sdc7. I have two versions of ubuntu, puppy, and another fc12 installed and keeping up to date is just too complicated.
> I will post if I find the answer and I would still appreciate any help. Otherwise I consider this thread closed.

Keep us posted!

David