Re: Firefox not running : unable to load XPCOM > (was Re:)

> >> ----
> >> probably but to be honest, I haven't been tracking
> this problem but
> >> generally, you can just nuke the file,
> >>
> ~/.mozilla/firefox/YOUR_SALTED_PROFILE/pluginreg.dat and it
> will be
> >> rebuilt on the next Firefox startup.
> >>
> >> and more to the point, you can temporarily move
> your whole ~/.mozilla
> >> folder to another name and it will be created
> again which is a very
> >> quick way to test if something in your
> .mozilla/firefox directory is
> >> causing a problem. Don't nuke this folder unless
> you are prepared to
> >> lose your bookmarks, passwords, etc.
> >>

> > Both of these were among the first things suggested to
> the OP. :) But
> > they didn't make any difference. I think this is one
> of the problems
> > with nspluginwrapper, since its installation is
> system-wide it is very
> > difficult to isolate when it malfunctions. All the
> usual troubleshooting
> > methodology starts failing.
>
> Actually everything looked fine on Don's system.
>
> > Thankfully Don was very observant and picked up on the
> error message in
> > the terminal. Otherwise even knowing that its
> installed would have been
> > difficult to guess over emails. Lets hope the problem
> is isolated now,
> > and can be resolved.
>
> I agree the best option is to get rid of nspluginwrapper:
> Don is not
> using it at all and it triggers an error (perfect match!).
> If it
> doesn't work, then I would focus in outputs from
> package-cleanup to
> inspect suspicious packages installed (there is some livna
> related
> packages and others (fc10/11) that can lead to confusion
> or
> misconfiguration)
>
> Regards,
>
> David
>

> ------------------------------
>
> --

I tried renaming ~/.mozilla and starting firefox, with no success.
I believe that, since firefox never starts, it will not rewrite the ~/.mozilla directory.
When I enter firefox in a terminal, it comes back with "couldn't load XPCOM" in about a second, so it isn't getting very far.
 I tried to clean things up a bit using package-cleanup but didn't do much. I did clean out old kernels and kernel-devel files. That didn't solve the problem.
I am not sure I mentioned it before, but I installed another, newer, version of firefox. It is a different version , from mozilla.org, that installs in my home directory instead of on the system. So far that works fine in parallel with the yum installed version (which still doesn't work).
I have attached new versions of the output of package-cleanup --orphans and --leaves, just in case I changed anything.
I believe I have tried everything that has been suggested, with no success. I intend to putter with the package-cleanup files next.
 I am putting this on the back burner now because:
1. I have a working firefox.
2 fc13 is coming soon and I need to do a complete re-install anyhow. I have been using preupgrade with great success since fc9 but things are getting messy. My system is a mess with 3 hard drives, grub boot record installed on /dev/sda and the grub files on sda8, but I run fc12 from /dev/sdc7. I have two versions of ubuntu, puppy, and another fc12 installed and keeping up to date is just too complicated.
I will post if I find the answer and I would still appreciate any help. Otherwise I consider this thread closed.
Thanks for the help. You guys are great.
Don

Loaded plugins: dellsysidplugin2, fastestmirror, refresh-packagekit
 * fedora: mirror.umoss.org
 * rpmfusion-free: mirrors.cat.pdx.edu
 * rpmfusion-free-updates: mirrors.cat.pdx.edu
 * rpmfusion-nonfree: mirrors.cat.pdx.edu
 * rpmfusion-nonfree-updates: mirrors.cat.pdx.edu
 * updates: mirror.umoss.org
RealPlayer-11.0.2.1744-20091006.i586
adobe-release-i386-1.0-1.noarch
autoten-4.4-0.fc12.noarch
flash-plugin-10.0.22.87-release.i386
goffice04-0.4.3-5.fc11.i586
kernel-2.6.32.9-67.fc12.i686
kernel-2.6.32.9-70.fc12.i686
kernel-devel-2.6.32.9-70.fc12.i686
libdhcp4client-4.0.0-37.fc10.i386
libdvdcss-1.2.10-1.i386
libvolume_id-141-7.fc11.i586
livna-release-1-1.noarch
msttcore-fonts-2.0-3.noarch
picasa-3.0.5744-02.i386
wine-doors-0.1.3-1.noarch
Loaded plugins: dellsysidplugin2, fastestmirror, refresh-packagekit
compat-libstdc++-296-2.96-143.i686
compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-68.i686
djvulibre-libs-3.5.21-3.fc12.i686
empathy-libs-2.28.2-2.fc12.i686
gpac-libs-0.4.6-0.4.cvs20090919.fc12.i686
imlib2-1.4.2-5.fc12.i686
libXevie-1.0.2-7.fc12.i686
libbtctl-0.11.1-3.fc12.i686
libdhcp4client-4.0.0-37.fc10.i386
libdvdcss-1.2.10-1.i386
liberation-mono-fonts-1.05.1.20090721-2.fc12.noarch
liberation-sans-fonts-1.05.1.20090721-2.fc12.noarch
liberation-serif-fonts-1.05.1.20090721-2.fc12.noarch
libertas-usb8388-firmware-5.110.22.p23-3.fc12.noarch
libgdiplus-devel-2.4.2-3.fc12.i686
libproxy-mozjs-0.2.3-12.fc12.i686
libpst-0.6.44-1.fc12.i686
libpurple-2.6.6-2.fc12.i686