Re: Cups not advertising printers

On Sat, 2010-04-03 at 16:07 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> To use cups to serve printers to clients in a different LAN in
> the /etc/cups/client.conf file you need to have a line:
> ServerName 70.238.70.20
>
> where in this case 70.238.70.20 is the address of the server.
> Note: 70.238.70.25 is not address of my cups server.

Unless CUPS has changed how it works, that's not what's going to happen,
or Aaron has described things not very clearly.

Usually, when all is well, CUPS running on a machine will automatically
find other available (CUPS) print servers by itself, and you'll be able
to print to all the printers it finds that way (local ones, plus the
ones from the other CUPS servers that it finds).

However, you can put an address into the client.conf file, and *this*
CUPS server will now work with the server address you entered, instead
of finding other servers.  You can now print, on this machine, to the
printers /that/ server provides (with /that/ being the address you put
into the client.conf file.  (The opposite of what Aaron appears to be
describing.)

You can do that if you want to force a configuration, like only using
one particular print server, and set of printers, even if you could
access other ones (such as making it use the nearest printer in the
office, instead of any printer in the LAN, which might be upstairs and
around the corner).  Or to print to remote services that aren't
advertised as being available, although they are accessible (where they
wanted manual configuration, so they're only used by the people who know
about them).  Or to print to servers that aren't automatically
discovered, thanks to how your network is set up (they're not "hidden"
on purpose, but complicated networking arrangements has *broken* the way
automatically discovering them is supposed to work).

But putting an address in your client.conf file doesn't make /this/ CUPS
server serve its printers to the remote LAN.  There's a big hint in that
this is the CLIENT configuration file.  The client.conf file configures
how this CUPS works as a client, the cupsd.conf file configures how it
works as a service (daemon).  If you want to make this CUPS instance
available to remote computers, you need to play with its cupsd.conf
file, instead.

Usually, the client.conf file is empty, so that CUPS does it's usual
automatic discovery of printers.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686