RE: Looking for a monitor driver

Dave Higton:

> You're lucky with your CRTs.  The ones I've seen that were a few
> years old, had bad screen burn, plus a nasty colour cast as one
> of the electron guns had lost emission.  I was glad to have my
> last CRT monitor replaced here (by an LCD) because it had bad
> Moiré patterning, which could only be cure by defocussing it
> badly.
>
> Having used CRTs and LCDs, I would never go back to CRT without
> a fight.  Fortunately LCDs are (a) so cheap (I don't understand
> your comment about outrageously overpriced LCDs), (b) the only
> type commonly available.

I've got CRT monitors, here, of 1980s vintage, still with excellent
pictures.  Of course, I've seen also seen bad ones, cheap and nasty
monitors which were always crappy, from the word go.  And middling ones
which deteriorated in short order.  But I'm certainly not going to say
that "CRT monitors are bad" simply because the bad ones were.  Only a
few years ago I gave away a valve CRT monitor from the 1960s which still
had a razor sharp image.

I've seen plenty of bad LCDs.  Everything from:  Only the highest
resolution ones don't look like you're staring at a fluorescent tube
through flywire.  Glaringly obvious dead pixels, or even a whole third
of the screen all magenta.  The colour response being quite crap
(something that standard TV LCDs go to all sorts of tricks to try and
get around).  Very limited angle of view without getting strange
distortions - thankfully that's getting better, but it's still not
there.

While it was still possible to buy both types, it was common to see that
LCDs two or three times the price of a CRT looked worse than the CRT.
The cheap ones really looked crap.  Shops stopped setting up side by
side comparisons, because even the untrained eye could see the
difference.  To get what I will accept as a decent picture, on an LCD,
I'd have to pay three times as much as what I consider acceptable.

It's the "Emperor's new clothes" all over again.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.