Re: Firefox not running : unable to load XPCOM (was Re:)

On Saturday 03 April 2010 10:28 PM, Craig White wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-04-03 at 22:20 -0700, Suvayu Ali wrote:
>> Hi Don,
>>
>> That actually helps a lot. :)

>>> After removing and re-installing xulrunner (which removed and re-installed firefox again ), I ran firefox from a terminal and got back a little bit more info than before.
>>>
>>> firefox
>>> /usr/bin/mozilla-plugin-config: line 73:  3364 Segmentation fault      $WRAPPER_LIB_DIR/nspluginwrapper/plugin-config -f>   /dev/null 2>&1
>>> Couldn't load XPCOM.
>>>

>>> the lines near line 73 are:
>>>
>>> # Set-up installed plugins
>>> if [ $# -eq 0 ]; then
>>>       $WRAPPER_LIB_DIR/nspluginwrapper/plugin-config -f>   /dev/null 2>&1
>>> else
>>>       $WRAPPER_LIB_DIR/nspluginwrapper/plugin-config $*
>>> fi
>>>

>> 'nspluginwrapper' usually should be avoided unless you can't absolutely
>> do without it. Since you mentioned you don't have any add-ons other than
>> Adblock Plus installed and you are on a 32 bit system, I would presume
>> you don't need nspluginwrapper.
>>
>> As a confirmatory step could you check whether you have nspluginwrapper
>> installed using the following command?
>>
>> $ yum list installed nspluginwrapper
>>
>> If that lists it as installed, I would suggest removing it. To remove
>> try this, (as root)
>>
>> # yum remove nspluginwrapper
>>
>>> As usual, that doesn't help me at all. Any ideas?
>>>

>> Hopefully this will solve your problems. :)
> ----
> probably but to be honest, I haven't been tracking this problem but
> generally, you can just nuke the file,
> ~/.mozilla/firefox/YOUR_SALTED_PROFILE/pluginreg.dat and it will be
> rebuilt on the next Firefox startup.
>
> and more to the point, you can temporarily move your whole ~/.mozilla
> folder to another name and it will be created again which is a very
> quick way to test if something in your .mozilla/firefox directory is
> causing a problem. Don't nuke this folder unless you are prepared to
> lose your bookmarks, passwords, etc.

Both of these were among the first things suggested to the OP. :) But
they didn't make any difference. I think this is one of the problems
with nspluginwrapper, since its installation is system-wide it is very
difficult to isolate when it malfunctions. All the usual troubleshooting
methodology starts failing.

Thankfully Don was very observant and picked up on the error message in
the terminal. Otherwise even knowing that its installed would have been
difficult to guess over emails. Lets hope the problem is isolated now,
and can be resolved.

--
Suvayu