Re: Slow Network

On 03/31/2010 09:07 AM, Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:
>       Hello,
>
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 6:28 PM, Rick Stevens<ricks@xxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>> On 03/30/2010 12:06 PM, Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:
>>>        Hello,
>>>
>>>     Since two or three days, my network connection seems to have become
>>> much slower. Loading websites with Firefox now takes a mutliple of the
>>> time, and I am having sporadic "no mirrors found" errors with yum. I
>>> am running F12 on a Dell Latitude D820 laptop, and I am connected by
>>> wire to a router. There has been no noticeable change on two Windows
>>> machines connected to the same router. All machines connect via DCHP.
>>>
>>>     What can I do to diagnose or fix the problem? Thanks!
>>
>> First, "ifconfig -a" and look at the error counts for each interface.
>> If you see a lot, then you start looking at hardware (bad cables, dirty
>> or loose connectors, flakey NICs, etc.).
>>
>> If the errors look OK, have a look at your (DSL|cable) modem's
>> statistics and see if there's something odd going on at the WAN side
>> of things.  If using cable modem or DSL, you may need to reboot your
>> router and/or modem.  I make a habit of doing that every six months
>> or so.
>>
>> If you're running nscd, purge your nscd DNS cache ("nscd -i hosts").
>
>    ifconfig shows no errors. I restarted the router and did nscd -i
> hosts, and it got worse. Now, opening some pages (e.g. BBC News) takes
> more than half a minute. The Windows machines connected to the same
> router, on the other hand, load web pages just fine.

If you use DHCP, you need to restart the network bit on your Linux.
machine if you reboot the router.  The easiest way is to reboot the
system.  To do it manually:

	Network Manager: "sudo service NetworkManager restart"
	Classic Network: "sudo service network restart"

This will renew the DHCP lease, get a fresh IP and (hopefully) freshen
your /etc/resolv.conf file and gateway settings.  If you're using fixed
IPs, then a network restart probably isn't needed but it wouldn't hurt.

Next, sort out why it's taking so long.  My guess is a DNS issue, so
at the command line, try resolving the host name you're trying to
load, e.g. "host news.bbc.co.uk" or "nslookup news.bbc.co.uk".  They
should resolve pretty quickly.  If not, then you've found where the
holdup is.

If the name resolve takes too long, there's several possibilities.
One, your iptables is blocking DNS for some reason; two, you're not
using good DNS servers in your /etc/resolv.conf file.