Re: Kernel BUG crash + photo 2.6.32.10-90

On 03/31/2010 04:58 PM, NoSpaze wrote:
> Hi. Yesterday I updated to kernel 2.6.32.10-90.fc12.i686. When booting,
> I got this BUG (likely reported by udev in the photo):
>
> http://otbits.blogspot.com/2010/03/bug-photo-20100331.html
>
> Now I'm booting by choosing previous kernel on Grub
> (2.6.32.9-70.fc12.i686). At first, felt like a disk error, maybe others
> are formatting!
>
> Is there any workaround? Anyone got the same? Must I file it with
> Bugzilla, if no one else got the same?
>
> Thanks, cheers.
> Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo - nospaze@xxxxxxxxx
> otbits.blogspot.com / counter.li.org: #367962
> Sysadmin (n): The untrained being underpaid for doing the impossible
> with the obsolete.

I had a similar problem booting to KDE GUI. This was caused by the
nVidia driver not being updated at the same time. I fixed this by
changing the graphics driver in xorg.conf to vesa, then using yumex to
update to the required nVidia driver. Then after resetting xorg.conf
back to the nVidia driver, presto, all working again.

In my case I booted to mode 3 command line, see boot options in grub to
do this, then used joe to edit xorg.conf. You can start the GUI from the
command line by typing startx. This will show any error messages if it
fails.

Knowing how to boot to mode 3 is damn useful if the GUI goes tits up.

JB