Re: [OT] Deafening silence

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 11:24 AM, Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Since you have a "little bit of experience" in development :) do you
>> think that developers -- maybe mainly application developers? -- would
>> benefit from this deadline for downstream releases(1)? Debian's "ready
>> when it's ready" developers  wouldn't appreciate much, I'm afraid, but
>> some agree that they must work towards more (fixed? fixe, in french)
>> development periods. (I don't care much about you commenting the rest
>> of my post, but I'd be interested in getting your opinion on this.)
>
> Again it depends. If your application wants to use cool new feature X
> then you want everyone to upgrade and then use your cool new app. If you
> gain nothing much from upgrades but the hassle of having to rebuild,
> retest etc then 'never' is quite a good upgrade rate.

What I was talking about here, maybe it wasn't clear, is Mark
Shuttleworth's proposal to release main distributions in step  -- he
excludes Debian from the obligation, it ssems :) -- every two years.
I'll let him explain his proposal:

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/290

He says this would ease maintainers' task.

>> Hummm... I suppose every case is different.
>
> It's a question of benefit and timescales. It doesn't take you 18 months
> to certify your desktop works and all the software on top is reliable,
> make the entire set up pass a third party security audit, pass the
> various credit card requirements, run performance analysis, track down
> regressions and then roll out live bit by bit along with any retraining
> along the way.
>
> Business timescales are long, and industrial timescales longer still.
> There are PDP-11 systems (or these days often emulators!) still running
> away in industrial plants doing what they've been doing for thirty odd
> years. The machinery they are tied to is often good for fifty plus years
> and depreciated accordingly, so there isn't a real urge to upgrade.
>
> The software folks have a very short term perspective - equalled perhaps
> by only a few industries such as fashion clothing. Imagine if the first
> PC you installed when you joined your first employer would be getting
> decommissioned about the time you retired ? Hard to picture but in the
> railroad world the chances are the first piece of track laid by some 18
> year old newbie platelayer will finally get retired about the same time
> as the person who laid it. In civil engineering you often build things
> that you expect to last hundreds of years. Todays engineers are doing
> 'maintenance' (I guess you might consider it 'service pack 2' 8) on
> victorian structures that will then be good for just light maintenance
> for another century.
>
> This gives people a rather different sense of time and upgrading to
> software engineers.

Different perspective indeed :)