Re: Rolling Release Model(s), Fedora Discussion

> > > I look forward to a clean start every six months
>
> > > 20 minute install - pleasure getting it back to
> how I like it !!
>

> > > John
>
> > Obviously you don't use your machine for anything
> resembling work.
>
> > I tend to wait for up to half a year past the new
> release for all the
>
> > bugs to be worked out. Radeon support, for instance,
> was nonexistent a
>
> > few releases back. And don't get me started on the
> toy version of KDE.
>
> There is some truth in your statement re work however
>
> its easy to have separate partitions for each release
>
> as small as 20GB is OK, then on a 500GB disk you can keep
>
> 20 previous releases and boot them as required!
>
> /home, /global, ... on a Centos 5.4 server gives you the
> stability
>
> you desire.
>
> Yes I had problems with F12 nvidia and a few other things
>
> but in general Fedora supports the latest hardware and is
> almost
>
> always running smoothly in pretty quick time.
>
> The amount of effort put into each release always amazes
> me.
>
> If real stability was your aim then you wouldn't be
> using Fedora !
>
> John
>
> --

> I beg to differ - out of all the
> distros I've tried, and am still trying being a distro
> hopper, I've found overall Fedora to be the most stable
> when using the latest release (without anything such as
> testing, rawhide or similar enabled on any, where
> available)
>
> Debian comes a close second, but only until you move up to
> Squeeze/Sid which is when the trouble starts for me. Fedora
> is more stable than that.
>

> -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

While Fedora is stable most of the time even rawhide *where some updates like kernel xorg break some functionality*, I would hate to disagree with your statement.  Some folks will dispute that Fedora is more stable than say Arch?,  which BTW does provide a rolling release model.

I can say that Slackware is more stable(INMHO) and still has a newer kernel than Fedora 2.6.33 and Fedora is at 2.6.32.9-? ,  Fedora had a reputation that it is not living up to, except Rawhide :)  They are at a point, where they are sacrificing latest and greatest vs. Stability.

It is good that Fedora is stable, when one does not mess much with it^{1} :)

Regards,

Antonio

{1} Running Updates testing, running too many repos, & have proprietary stuff running, ATI Radeon that are not supported well, etc.