Re: UID mapping for NFS

Craig White wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-03-14 at 17:37 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> Tim wrote:
>>> Are all the computers using the same OS?  Prior Fedora releases used a
>>> lesser (than 4) version of NFS by default, and would require manual
>>> configuration to use NFS4.  Other distros probably have the same issue.
>>>
>> Yes, and I can't seem to get nfs4 working on the server side. I have tried
>> adding flags to the exportfs call but the ones in the manual seem to be
>> rejected. This is a set of fully updated Fedora 9 boxes, and mount.nfs4 is
>> present, but the options for export seem unsupported.
>>
>> I can test using the /etc/exports file, but exporting things before doing the
>> mount on them seems to have it's own issues, and the determination of what to
>> mount for export is definitely done many seconds after boot. The NFS3 moutns
>> work fine, but access is broken.

>>> Yes.  I'd use it in a network where you trust people not to exploit it,
>>> and can manage the configuration to connect the right user names with
>>> each other.  But where you can't trust users not to exploit it, or use
>>> it incorrectly, or your network is exposed to outsiders (unencrypted
>>> wireless, running as part of someone else's LAN, etc.), you'd want
>>> something better.
>>>
>> Network security isn't the issue here, it's all a matter of uid at the moment.
> ----
> I don't know what you have or haven't done or if you have configured
> idmapd and started rcpidmapd service but here is some instructions...
>
> http://fedorasolved.org/post-install-solutions/nfsv4-fedora

At some point you just have to assume it's broken or documented so poorly that
source code is your only hope. I have done all that stuff, and not only do I get
  "no such file or directory" with nfs4, but wireshark tells me the server if
still using v3. All the things in that document were done, I did change "nobody"
to "nfsnobody" in idmapd.conf and restart, but that make no difference.

It seems no one I can reach has actually ever made nfsv4 work on FC9, even
thought it's documented to do so. Probably another thing a level ten guru can do
using some trick never documented.

Thanks much for the link to the doc, I can now feel comfortable that I didn't
miss something.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>