Re: How to Install Nvidia Driver in Fedora12?

2010/3/15 Marcel Rieux <m.z.rieux@xxxxxxxxx>
2010/3/14 Marcel Rieux <m.z.rieux@xxxxxxxxx>:
> 210/3/14 严晶涛 <yanjingtao@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>
>> My classmate has bought a computer with GT220.
>> When I download Nvidia Driver,use init 3 to run it.
>> but it prompt that cannot find nvidia.ko..
>> I have searched Google,and changed menu.lst,added nouveau.modeset=0
>>
>> This time,I have install Nvidia Driver success,but when I reboot,I can't
>> login it,it's blank screen.
>> I have try many times,I found,when I use init 3,and run rmmod nouveau,then I
>> can use startx login to Gnome.
>>
>> But it's too troublesome,I want to know how to do,then I can turn on the
>> computer and direct into Gnome...
>
> In my experience, the only instructions that work are here, at
> rpmfusion, who provides the kernel module:
>
> http://rpmfusion.org/Howto/nVidia

Maybe I should add that, if I were you, I'd forget about Nvidia
drivers altogether. Nvidia offers no support for Linux and, since it's
not open source, you don't get much from the community either. Even if
the community wanted, without the source code, it would be minimal.

My advice: stay with Nouveau.

Out of curiosity, when does Nouveau plan to be able to offer the same 3D capabilities, if even in alpha-experimental form? That's the only thing keeping me from leaving the NVidia drivers for Nouveau.