Re: UID mapping for NFS

On Sat, 2010-03-13 at 18:11 -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> The issue may be that nfs4 doesn't seem to be working, mount.nfs4
> gives a failure, so perhaps job one will be to find out why the export
> isn't working.

Are all the computers using the same OS?  Prior Fedora releases used a
lesser (than 4) version of NFS by default, and would require manual
configuration to use NFS4.  Other distros probably have the same issue.

> NFS is so insecure by nature that it would be nice not to fight
> pseudo-security.

Yes.  I'd use it in a network where you trust people not to exploit it,
and can manage the configuration to connect the right user names with
each other.  But where you can't trust users not to exploit it, or use
it incorrectly, or your network is exposed to outsiders (unencrypted
wireless, running as part of someone else's LAN, etc.), you'd want
something better.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686