Re: How to Install Nvidia Driver in Fedora12?

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 00:37:35 +0000,
  Fred Williams <dukederf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Out of curiosity, when does Nouveau plan to be able to offer the same 3D
> capabilities, if even in alpha-experimental form? That's the only thing
> keeping me from leaving the NVidia drivers for Nouveau.

Some 3d support is there now, but it still has a way to go as far as expecting
to be able to play 3d games. In F13 you can install
mesa-dri-drivers-experimental and try it out. This is pretty basic 3d
support. Phoronix did some benchmarks and found it still 5 to 10 times
slower than nVidia drivers on recent cards.

If Nouveau is good enough for your needs, using it instead of the proprietary
drivers will save you some grief. But if it doesn't do what you need, you'll
need to do something else.