Re: [OT] Deafening silence

On Saturday 13 March 2010 02:58:48 pm Craig White wrote:

> you are completely irrelevant... not that I have any ability to change
> that and I surely respect your right, as a Fedora user to post on the
> list.
>
> In the future, would you please mark your irrelevant rantings as OT (off
> topic)?
>
> You really don't want to know what I think when I read this.
>
> Craig

The section that you posted was a little out of line, Craig, granted.
However.  Your response is also indicative of the exact problem he's referring
to!

The users and bug reports are, by and large, irrelevant.  Mine certainly have
been.  As I said, sometimes I did not give enough info, but it also really
didn't *matter*.

For example, pulseaudio.  It was introduced in a state that was pretty much
unusable for me.  Sound only started working when I turned it off.  I filed a
bug report.  I supplied all the info requested.  As I remember, might as well
have been a black hole.  Someone insisted it wasn't even a bug.  I responded,
yes, it was.  They said I didn't put it in the right place.  I responded, then
move it to the right place instead of closing it.  Someone said "yeah, you're
probably right, but too bad."  Bug closed.  Got fixed on its own accord at some
point in the future.  Until then I just disabled pulseaudio.

What about selinux?  At the SCALE conference, Karsten Wade gave the keynote
and acknowledged that selinux was handled badly, and also acknowledged that it
was a huge PR problem - people are still reflexively turning it off because of
the damage the Fedora project did to its reputation.  I can't even turn it on
at my workplace because no one trusts it - and FEDORA did that!  Fedora, and
Red Hat.

And it's not getting any better, at least from my experience.

We are *not* irrelevant.  I'm not, and neither is the OP, and the attitude
that says we are is the *problem*.

--Russell