Re: Is KDE dead ? Was Re: Stable Release Updates

On Saturday 13 March 2010, Mail Lists wrote:
> I'm curious how many current KDE users we have - what percent of our
>install base? And what percent of the desktop install base ?
>
> Since the 3.5 -> 4.0 KDE pushathon, everyone I know who was a KDE user
>(myself included, and Linus too!) switched to gnome and none has yet
>gone back.
>
> At least a part of the fuss about updates seems to be driven by KDE
>wanting to be faster paced than the rest - I'm curious what percent of
>our install base this actually represents today?
>
>  For me there were only 2 things disruptive I presently recall - the
>last was F11 kmail no longer working after recent update - and the
>devastatingly bad 3.5 -> 4.0 premature release.
>
>  I actually like the current general pace - its stable but we get
>decent flow (tho it has slowed somewhat over the 12-18 months or so it
>seems) of upstream updates/bug fixes and largely when appropriate larger
>version bumps. Tho things like firefox lag too much imho - but I no
>longer care as I now use chrome which is way way better.
>
>   Sure there are little hiccups here and there but overall things are
>non-disruptive and decently up to date - and that is the right balance.
>
>  Congrats fedora management, redhat and contributors - and thank you.

FWIW, I am happily running the last kde-4 stuff you shipped to F10.  Other
than I can crash kmail by standing on the + key for a while, it hasn't
dirtied its playground ever.  However, one of the more recent updates managed
to kill OOo-3.2 and I had to remove it completely and re-install it to get
the office menu's back.  Used to be that could be edited by mere mortals, but
that has apparently gone away forever.  That is serious sucky.  Gnome? The
Nagging Nanny?  Only long enough to find out how to switch to KDE.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

"Would I turn on the gas if my pal Mugsy were in there?"
   "You might, rabbit, you might!"
-- Looney Tunes, Bugs and Thugs (1954, Friz Freleng)