Re: Problem with an external usb HD - slow usb

On Wed, 2010-03-10 at 10:28 -0300, Luigi Castro Cardeles wrote:
> 2010/3/9 Roberto Ragusa <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > Luigi Castro Cardeles wrote:

> >> so:
> >> low-speed - uhci
> >> full-speed - ohci
> >> high-speed - ehci
> >
> > When the USB group created the 2.0 specifications it made
> > a good effort to confuse "good speed" (480Mbit/s) with
> > "awful speed" (12Mbit/s) devices, so to manage to sell
> > all the ancient stuff by putting a USB2.0 label on them.
> >
> > This thread clearly demonstrates how successful they were.
> > :-(
> >
> > --
> >   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it
> > --
> >

> but using the same external hd on windows is faster then on linux...
> at that point, i am trying to understand that :D
> the device is: philips case sde3275fc/97
> still struggling with that.

It's likely that the disk came with a special driver for Windows,
whereas the Linux version is using a generic driver. I'd guess the
answer is probably in the Windows driver code, but of course it will be
binary and proprietary so it's of no use to anyone.

poc