gmpc sound not working

I'm running Fedora 10 with the gnome desktop.  I installed the mpd
(music player daemon) on my file server (where all the music lives) and
gmpc on my laptop.  These things come from rpmfusion.
Every sound application on my machine is able to make noise except
gmpc.  It doesn't have a config panel so there doesn't seem to be any
way to choose between sound systems or any such nonsense.  It displays
all the files on the server so communication is established.  Network
monitor shows increased network traffic from my server when I'm playing
a song, so I'll assume that music is actually flowing on the net.
Has anyone got this thing to work?  I would rather not have music
cluttering up every box in the house when it is aviailable via server...
wcn